The necessity of a timely dribble

On Monday when I went into Farnham, I noticed one of the bins had been burned to a crisp. The only bits left were the metal ones. This means a thin frame and the actual bin. Even the grass had been scorched in a ring around the bin.

Then, this morning, I noticed that, even though the bin had been draped in red and white hazard tape, some moron had decided it could still be used for rubbish.

Presumably it’s because they are lazy and feel that someone else should pick up after them but I can’t help but think of them as having an IQ slightly above that of the actual bin.

The smell rising from the smouldering remains and vanishing over the brick wall into the garden of the people who regularly smother the park in smoke from their own rubbish, must have been awful.

I do wonder whether the fire was caused by some malicious arsehole or just someone who has no idea how to properly extinguish one of those awful portable barbecues. Either way, a bit of water was sorely needed.

And speaking of water, now that we are going away for 11 days, my main concern has turned to my tomatoes.

The thing is, they need water. Every day. They are growing so well that I’d hate to return to a greenhouse steeped in veggie death. Or fruit given that tomatoes are, actually, a fruit.

Funnily enough, there’s a famous court case from 1893 in which an American Court found that a tomato should be classed as a vegetable. Vegetables attracted more import tax than fruit. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

So, on the weekend I researched the best kind of irrigation system for self watering my tomato plants. The one I chose turned up today.

After hanging out a number of loads of laundry and writing up my blog, I headed up to the greenhouse, small box in hand. I emptied the contents on the greenhouse shelf and read the instructions. Thoroughly.

This didn’t take long as there were not that many. They were mostly concerned with the timer/pump settings. Having taught myself everything there was to know about this particular device, ten minutes later I proceeded to set everything up.

Most important I needed a water reservoir. Handily, Mirinda had just emptied a bird food bin. I filled it up with water and set the timer/pump device on the edge.

My original setting was for it to drip water every hour for five minutes. This was just to make sure it was working properly. I then realised that the button marked ‘M’ in red was for Manual override. Clearly I hadn’t read the instructions quite as thoroughly as I thought I did.

I pressed the M button. It was much easier than waiting around for an hour to make sure it worked. And it worked a treat. Little dribbles of water leaked out of the plastic spikes and the tomatoes were happy. I then reset the timer/pump and left it to it.

The next thing to work out is how much water it uses and how much I’ll need for 11 days.

0
This entry was posted in Gary's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.