Lostwithiel

lostwithiel.jpg

This is the Tiudor bridge in Lostwithiel - the ancient capitol of Cornwall (there is a few of those). Originally built by the Normans (that's from 1066) it has changed a lot. In 1280 it had nine arches. Four of these original arches are buried under the road to its left. The whole thing was extensively rebuilt in the 15th century and was almost blown up during the civil war in 1644. Human intervention, however, is not all the changes wrought. Nature has changed the direction of the river a number of times. Most recently (18th century) four new arches to the east (to the right) had to be added.

Photo album created with Web Album Generator