Grand Place

grandplace2.jpg

The building on the left is a fairly faithful 19th century representation of the palatial structure commissioned by Charles V in 1515. It stands opposite the impressive Hôtel de Ville and stands for imperial power. No sovereign, however, has ever lived in it - the Habsburgs housed their tax men and law courts here and it also served as a prison for Counts Egmont and Hoorn the night before being taken outside into the square and being beheaded by The Council of Blood. It now holds the Musée de la Ville Bruxelles.

Photo album created with Web Album Generator