Deluge across the south east

Today it rained. We haven’t had much sustained rainfall for a while so it was welcomed by the garden. And the water companies, I’m sure. There was, however, one individual who didn’t welcome it one little bit and just sat, sad and miserable, pleading with me to take her outside.


Okay, the photo above was taken yesterday when the sun was out but the look is the same.

There was a short period of blue sky but, fortunately, I wasn’t fooled because before long the black returned and the water lashed at our back windows.

I was working from home (after walking into town first thing just to get wet) and, while I started in my office, moved to the Dining Zone when I returned to the house to make a coffee and realised Mirinda had shut the girls out of the library because she was having an important phone meeting which did not need any sudden high pitched yapping. This meant Freya had to be locked out as well.

As I entered the extension two little faces looked up from the red dining chair. There’s nearly always one or the other of them there but rarely both together.

Emma particularly likes it because she can comfortably lie down on it, feigning sleep while always ready to pounce on anyone (or thing) she spots out the front door. She likes her comfort, does Emma, but needs to be alert to the dangers presented by strange dogs across the road and the postman.

I decided to set myself up at the dining table to keep them company. This was an instant invitation for Freya to lie across my lap. This is possibly one of her favourite spots though why she enjoys putting her head on my arm while I type is anyone’s guess. Eventually the constant movement forces her to withdraw her head and let it flop down the side of my leg.

I then continued researching the names on the Chiddingfold war memorial, feeling equal amounts of the joy of discovery and the sadness of young lives snuffed out. I felt it even more poignant than usual given yesterday was D-Day 75.

Memorable this week were the White brothers, Walter and Algernon. They lost their parents in the 1890’s. Walter was packed off to boarding school while Algernon went to live with an elderly aunt.

Sometime after 1911, Walter decided to immigrate to Australia to become a farmer. How he would have succeeded or failed will never be known because, in 1914, he enlisted in the Australian Infantry and was cut down at Gallipoli.

Algernon managed to be promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in the Hampshire Regiment before being killed in Belgium in 1918.

There was a third brother, Percy. He seems to have survived the war.

And so my day continued.

PS: Here’s a link to the Chiddingfold memorial on the Surrey in the Great War website.

This entry was posted in Gary's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.