T Day

It rained a bit today. Full on, torrential, non-English rain with intensity enough to send a pack of baying Romans back to Gaul. Of course it was scattered with a bit of sunshine and blue sky but, on the whole, today was just wet.

Today was also T Day; the day that Mirinda’s great work was due for submission. Because I’d heard nothing from the uni print shop and because I was not convinced I’d managed to work out all the nitty gritty of the submission process as required by the Powers That Be, we decided I should work from home with the possibility of travelling to Bath on a last minute mercy dash type thing.

Because of the possible half day journey north, I still took the girls to visit with Sue which they were both very pleased about, (and I think Sue was) while I sat at the dining table, monitoring various electronic devices and checking various people in order to relieve a bit of stress.

Two people managed to keep me calm, happy and confident that things were going smoothly and everything would be fine. One was the lady I spoke to at the print unit. I didn’t get her name but she was incredibly calm even while telling me how horrendous yesterday had been with all the students submitting their assignments and dissertations to be printed at the same time (their due date was yesterday). She told me that they were looking at four hour turnaround times! It’s generally half an hour.

Anyway, today was a different matter. The lady assured me that she had the Thesis and it would be ready for pick up in about half an hour. I thanked her, paid her then rang off.

The other person who was a pool of tranquillity against my rising tide of tension was Lesa. She was the person responsible for making sure I’d crossed the correct T’s and uncrossed the rest. She asked me about something on the HD2 form which I’d missed and if I’d intended to miss it. Nothing accusatory, just a pleasant question. That’s how to keep the situation positively happy.

She was always there if I wanted a bit of reassurance. Eventually she picked up the Theses and I breathed a sigh of relief. Her final email to me said, simply “Now, breathe…” For someone I’ll probably never meet, I’m now a big fan.

So, by lunchtime, everything was done and dusted and in someone else’s hands. I talked to Mirinda and she was pleased as well (though possibly not as relieved as me that nothing bad had happened). And I went back to work, happily researching the war dead which is definitely not as stressful as Thesis delivery.

And I didn’t have to go to Bath.

About to go to sleep, Emma gave me a look which seemed to say “You can relax now.

Be chill like me
This entry was posted in Gary's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.