Beware the feline Mafia

Today everything was back to normal. The noisy, smelly traffic, the gym opening at the normal time, the bus arriving as it should and a coffee at Nero’s. My work out was very good (though I didn’t get on the leg press because of the guy who hogs it and the trainer who encourages him) as was the shower afterwards.

After my latte I headed off for the Talking Newspaper. I don’t usually go on a Tuesday but it was for a magazine recording (which is usually on a Monday but was bumped for the Bank Holiday) which normally starts at about 10am.

The walk was pleasant enough as the weather was kind and the crowds non-existent. I arrived at the studio to find ex-rev John and Mike the Engineer, both waiting for Ann the Chair to arrive. I joined them and we had a good laugh about various nonsense.

Then Ann arrived and gave us our articles. John and I disappeared into the editing room to read them through while Ann and Mike talked technical.

I say that John and I read through our articles but, it would be closer to the truth to say that John entertained me by telling me the story of his lost phone which his daughter replaced with a smartphone (“What’s data, Gary? Will I ever need it? I call and I text. What’s data?“) which O2 are having great difficulty in activating.

The story was long, twisty and winding and, subsequently, we only read a couple of articles before it was time to go in and record. Even so, we had a lovely session. The stories that Ann had picked were excellent and read well – hopefully the listeners will agree.

As usual we also read poems. There were a few sad ones but my favourite was The Cat’s Protection League by Roger McGough, not least because Ann had the wonderful idea to have both of us read it with John taking the part of the cat. It was very funny. Here’s the poem. (I’ll try and clip then include the track when it’s finished.)

The Cat’s Protection League
Midnight. A knock at the door.
Open it? Better had.

Three heavy cats, mean and bad.
They offer protection. I ask ‘What for?’
The Boss-cat snarls, ‘You know the score.
Listen man and listen good

If you wanna stay in the neighbourhood,
pay your dues or the toms will call
And wail each night on the backyard wall.
Mangle the flowers, and as for the lawn
A smelly minefield awaits you at dawn.’

These guys meant business without a doubt
Three cans of tuna, I handed them out.
They then disappeared like bats into hell
Those bad, bad cats from the CPL.

From All the Best – The selected poems of Roger McGough

Mike didn’t know we were going to read it together and was highly amused with the result.

All round, it was an excellent session (well, I enjoyed it very much) and we eventually drifted off in our different directions (after John told me the end of his lost phone story which was to say that after a lot of hassle the lost phone was found to not be lost at all though, sadly, too late to be useful any more).

I decided to go and photograph the Trimmer Memorial in the West Street Cemetery before heading home.

The Trimmer family was big in Farnham towards the end of the 19th century, continuing into the early years of the 20th. Their son, William Charles died in the Great War, which is why I know about them. Mind you, I do walk by the Trimmer Almshouses every time I go to the studio given it’s on West Street overlooking the cemetery.

The Trimmer’s owned and ran a brewery in Farnham and did a lot for the community (apart from providing booze) including the giving of the almshouses. I might write a bio of them one day as I have quite a bit of information.

Anyway, I hadn’t seen the memorial before so, given I was walking by and it was the middle of the day, I photographed it (including a closeup of William’s bit) before heading home to the puppies.

At home, after feeding the girls, we all went for a bit of a ball chase in the park before settling into the house for the rest of the day.

Then, disaster struck!

Actually, that’s a bit dramatic. There was no actual disaster but I had not had confirmation regarding the Thesis printing and I discovered a form that needed filling in. Or, rather, Mirinda was emailed and passed her concerns onto me. I filled the form in and uploaded the Thesis electronically.

As for the printing…I’ll have to call them tomorrow as the print shop closed at 5pm (on the dot). I offered to go to Bath and sort them out but Mirinda reckoned I could do it all by phone. Which means, no work for Gaz tomorrow.

Some Farnham Park daisies to make things better

This entry was posted in Gary's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.